Saturday, October 15, 2011

Here We Go Again


It's about that time again. 
You ever get that feeling that your life is becoming too 'lifeless'? 
I began to feel this way towards the end of my summer. After coming back from the Philippines and all the adventures I had there, working 12-hours a day on my favorite produce farm just didn't measure up. I knew, right from the beginning, that I wanted to go back. However, there were many things that needed to be figured out and I was a little nervous to think about them. Two questions seemed to bother me most, #1 How will I raise the money to get back over to the Philiippines? #2 Now that my sister was moving on and getting a real job, was I going to return alone?
As in most scenarios, God had the answers all mapped out to the questions that bothered me. He started by having my friends Lisa and LeAnne work with me at the produce farm. While working one day, LeAnne had mentioned that she had always wanted to be a missionary. We got to talking and soon enough, I had my new travel buddy! Then LeAnne and I were talking about raising money and LeAnne suggested going on a church tour throughout Wisconsin. So we put that plan into action and with the help of many gracious donors throughout the state we were able to raise enough money for our trip. God is just WAY too good sometimes!
He loves me, I swear! ;)
Finally, our departure date arrived! October 11th. My parents, younger sister, and Lisa accompanied us to the airport. They waited until 30 minutes before departure and then we said our goodbyes. Thus began our Filipino Adventure.
:)

We looked relatively decent when we started our trip...
On Tuesday, October 11th, at 12:30pm we boarded a plane headed for Seoul, Korea. 
I'm going to take this opportunity to say, If you ever find yourself needing to fly to any Asian countries, fly with Korean Air. I TOTALLY vouch for them! Extremely friendly service, comfortable seating, and the food....is plane food...but pretty good considering! Not to mention, they feed you almost constantly! For example, I watched the movie 'Titanic' on our flight to Korea and they fed us 3 times before it was over. Win!
Anywho, after 13hrs in the air we were ready to be off the plane for awhile...or so we thought.  After landing in Korea we had a 15 hour layover in the Korea Incheon Airport. Most people would view this as negative, but a good traveler makes the most of their unideal situations. We started by finding a fairly empty gate and turned it into home. By using our pillows and blankets that we borrowed from the plane we were able to make a pretty comfortable habitat ;)
Another HUGE plus is that the Incheon Airport has free WI-FI. Can't argue with that!
After some good rest, we set out to find some food. There were many Korean options, but seeing as to how we were most likely going to have rice everyday for the next 2 months. We settled on something a little more American. Burger King seemed like the most unhealthy, greasiest, BEST choice for us. Then we sat back and watched the sunrise in Korea amidst the departing and arriving planes. It was so gorgeous and extremely peaceful.
Finally, at 7:30am we were able to board our plane to Manila. Then after a nice, 4 hour flight we had arrived in Manila. Upon arriving we went through Customs, got our little stamps in our passports and headed to get our luggage sent off. You see, our flights from America allowed us two 50lb. suitcases each. But our flight to Palawan only allowed 33lb. TOTAL. So unless we wanted to pay an arm and a leg to have it flown over we had to find an alternative plan. We managed to get the luggage sent air cargo for a pretty penny, but nonetheless cheaper than if we had tried to bring it ourselves. Afterwards we boarded our flight to Puerto Princesa, Palawan. My friends, Ed and Merilyn from AWA, were on the other side to pick us up. They brought us back to their house where we were able to sleep in an actual bed for the first time in over 48 hours. It was delightful, but sadly not the end of our traveling.
The next morning we were awake and showered by 9am. We then headed to the bus terminal to get a ride down to Brookes Point. Now during my previous stay in Palawan, I opted for the Shuttle everytime I traveled between Puerto and Brookes. It was faster and more efficient. But with all our extra luggage we thought it would be financially beneficial if we took the bus. "Ugh!" Is the only word I have to describe it. Not only did we have to wait 3 hours for the bus to depart from the terminal but the regular 4 hour drive down to Brookes took 6 hours and the seats were SUPER uncomfortable. I feel I have learned my lesson, it is better just to pay the extra as oppose to taking the bus. 
All travel is just trial and error :)
Then finally, the moment we had been waiting for, the moment every traveler waits for: Arrival.
Finally at 6:30pm on Friday, October 14, we arrived in welcome arms at our destination.
However, I think its safe to say, after 3 days, 14 timezones, 3 planes, and one very long, bumpy bus ride we were extremely tired. So here's to coming to the end of the traveling aspect of a trip and here's to enjoying the adventures waiting to be had. 

Good Night!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you girls made it there safely. Me and Lisa are keeping you both in our prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys so much! And I am glad you made it there safe! Mom was freaking out, haha. Also, I am glad that you can't tell I had been crying like a baby in the that picture ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. see.... I'm not the only mom freaking out!!! Anyway I so love reading your blogs. Goal, Try not to fall far behind on them.

    ReplyDelete