Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just can't catch a break!!

Another not-so-grand start to a new day. 
This morning I woke up with, what I thought was, pink eye. My eyes were really red and gross, when I went downstairs Shielah suggested a Charcoal Politice. So after breakfast, they covered my eyes with charcoal and gauze and for the first time in my life I was completely blind.
It was kinda fun at first, like wearing a blindfold for some hilarious game or something. LeAnne had to lead me around the house to I could brush my teeth and what not...but after 45 min or so I wanted to see again. I spent most of the morning laying in bed listening to skype conversations and books on tape. 
Then Shielah decided to make fresh peanut butter while LeAnne watched and I tried to follow what was going on based on the sounds. Apparently it is quite easy to make Peanut Butter. You start with shelled peanuts (or if you're feeling REALLY ambitious you can shell your own) and you fry them while adding salt and sugar to taste. Then Shielah took them into town to be put through the grinder but those with access to a blender can throw them in a blender with some oil and WA-LA you have peanut butter.
After about 5 hours in pure darkness, I was finally able to remove the gauze. It seriously felt like a Bible story, come-to-life. I open one eye and then the next. Suddenly I'm in awe of the light and color I see. After looking at my eyes, Shielah decided it couldn't have been pink eye, "Because the charcoal would have brought out more 'gunk' than it did." She determined that it must have just been a very bad eye infection...in both eyes.
My morning in darkness got me thinking how important my eyes and sight are to me. I would be so devastated if I lost them. So I decided that since I had spent about half of my trip (3 of the 6 days) in glasses, maybe it would be best to continue the rest of the trip in my glasses. I mean, when I think about it, I have been wearing contact lenses for 9 years straight...my eyes need a break to rest. 
So heres to having 4 eyes and being proud of it! And heres to hopefully having NO more health issues for the remainder of my trip....that would be a plus! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment