Saturday, December 31, 2011

Squeezing in one last trip for 2011

After spending Christmas with my family, we decided that we wanted to fit in one last travel adventure this year! So we headed to Chicago.
Chicago is a 4 hour drive from my hometown and is not exactly NEW to me and my family. I know my way around downtown Chicago like the back of my hand and I love it! We use to have a tradition of spending the weekend after Thanksgiving, together, in Chicago. It was always perfect! There was the perfect Winter Chill in the air, but there was no snow, and Downtown Chicago would be decorated for the Holiday Season and it was always so gorgeous. However, due to my traveling I have missed the last 2 Thanksgivings and therefore I missed seeing one of my favorite cities at my favorite time of year. So, needless to say, a quick rendezvous to the Windy City was a MUST!
**Note: All pictures were taken with my NEW iPhone 4s. Merry Christmas to Me!! Thanks Parents!**
As usual, we decided at the last minute to jump in the car and make the drive to Chicago. It was so spontaneous, we booked our hotel from my sisters phone. BTW Booking your hotel at the last minute on Priceline.com, easily gets you a 5-star hotel right in Downtown for Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!
We decided to ditch our cars in a parking garage just North of Chicago and take the metro into town, to avoid the $25/day parking charges in the city.
Mom made a friend :)
Coming out of the metro station, I was SOO excited to see that Downtown Chicago was still decorated in its Christmas Glamour! We checked into our hotel and then headed down the Magnificent Mile, which is Michigan Ave. The numerous stores and restaurants on this strip are amazing and seem a little more colorful during the Christmas season.
We stopped by some of our favorite stores: Mac Store, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret and some new ones: Lululemon. I didn't buy much, the Christmas season has left my heart feeling full and my wallet feeling empty :/ But I just enjoy walking down the streets of Chicago.
The next day, it seemed little girls with American dolls were EVERYWHERE. This is, due to the American Girl Place in Downtown Chicago. It had been my dream when I was young, to go to the American Girl Place with my Samantha doll....I was never able to :/ So I spent the day living vicariously through all those little girls who are 'living the dream'.
For lunch, we headed to our favorite Chicago tradition, Giordanos for some Real Deep Dish Pizza then we took the metro back to our cars. The trip was short, too short if you ask me, but it was a MUCH needed trip. The closest I've been to Chicago since early 2010 is the airport. Not to mention, the weather was GORGEOUS, the perfect winter chill and No snow (which is quite uncommon here in the Nort') and the Decorations were 'Merry and Bright'. It was everything I dreamed and more.
Now with one last trip to add to 2011's miles, I say, "Bring on 2012!"

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I love that picture of your mom on the metro... really made me laugh. BTW, this post is right up there with my top favorite ones ;). See ya tomorrow! :D

    ReplyDelete